Now. When you read that last sentence, it just sounds plain silly. Why would anyone in their right mind think it is okay, appropriate even, to broadcast such emotionally-charged words onto a public forum that THE ENTIRE WORLD CAN SEE? Now, I am not saying that it is morally inappropriate for these people to do such things, I'm saying that it is inappropriate in the sense that frankly, no one really wants to see it, and no one cares. The part where people pay attention comes in when people continue to bombard these social media sites with such contrived "interactions" of "feelings" for one another, when in reality it's a front for the relationship's insecurities that attempt to mask the crumbling of their coupledom. I never really understood why people felt so compelled to let the world know that they are dating/marrying someone through an electronic outlet (the ever shudder-inducing "Facebook Official" makes me want to gouge out my eyeballs). I understand that people want to let their loved ones know the great news. But is it really necessary to post every picture, every fleeting sentiment, every saccharine-sickening comment where everyone can see? Isn't that just inviting the world to catch a peek (for some, catching a live show) on something that should be private, sacred? Isn't this just setting yourself up for embarrassment when you have to somehow erase these things from forums and people's memories when you break up?
I admit, these past several months have transformed any rainbows-in-the-sky hopes and emotions I may have had into concrete gargoyles of logical thinking; the very idea of romance and happily-ever-afters mean nothing to me now. I actually think it's bullshit. But I have learned that human relationships are precious, and they are meant to be private between the two people who are in it together. They are not meant to be on display in an electronic fishbowl of scrutiny where everyone knows when you have broken up with someone and then gotten back together with them by the change in their Facebook status.
Maybe I'm just being insensitive. Or maybe people are just that dumb.
i feel you. that's why i never update my fb status when i'm dating someone cuz when you break up the whole world knows it! i don't want a bunch of pity comments asking me if i'm ok. no thank you. there's this one chick on my twitter feed who constantly updates her wedding planning process. i don't care! shiet. maybe i'm just bitter? hahaha~ btw, how do you unfollow someone?
ReplyDeletei'm glad someone feels mah pain. haha! unfollow somone on fb? or on blogs?
ReplyDelete